It would be nice to have a specialized building or machine that:
- Generates a moderate amount of biomass per minute
- Requires unobstructed sky above it (like HUB). This is logical because sun is required for photosynthesis, and also helps with the balance, since it prevents this building from being stackable vertically, and therefore increases space requirements. Alternatively, it may require a bit of power.
- Requires a bit of fertilizer to operate (like 2 or 3 per minute, for example). Fertilizer can be created from biomass and, for example, limestone (this also makes limestone more useful)
- Can generate mycelium instead of biomass, if appropriate recipe is unlocked
I think auto-produced biomass is good, because:
- It allows using biomass in more recipes, essentially turning it from early-game fuel substitute to a material, suitable for fully automated production (for example, in alternate recipes for rubber and plastic, where it can partially replace oil)
Makes existing "biomass coal" recipe much more useful, especially when player has no easy access to coal deposits
No more need to chop down every plant near the base and turning lush jungle into a barren desert
It automates manual labor of collecting wood and leaves, and this game is all about automation
Hope that makes sense.
Note: there are some other proposals regarding plants in this game (one, two, three), but they lack motivation section and detailed implementation, mostly describe nuts and berrys, not biomass.