Whilst I can somewhat appreciate the idea that nuclear waste is a problematic resource that's not easy to get rid of, it's really strangely implemented given that the game offers infinite resource nodes and giant, seemingly bottomless pits...
I wouldn't mind the current state of nuclear waste IF there was something we could do with it, besides storing it indefinitely in containers...
- alternate plans that use some waste to build new fuel rods
- plans that can turn waste into another type of basic resource (lots of "handwaveium" for this one, but could be useful)
- process into ammo for a new weapon (think death rays, perhaps?)
- waste disposal sites which can be built only if the "void" / water / <insert other suitable location condition / node> is underneath
- we've got a space elevator; can we launch nuclear waste into space / the local star?