i spend much time to run/jump/fly around in my base and collect the materials from the varius storage containers for building up my base.
.. and often just for 5 plates or 1 other item.
as we have a cool remote tool and the materials will be teleported from the own inventory when building something, why not also from a dedicated, linked storage?
- unlocked with a certain tier and tech
- container have an option "link to player inventory"
- gives the option to take the material directly from your production or just from the overflow
- (maybe the same option in traktor/truck/explorer)
- you can give names to containers
- container or player have an limited radius to connect to an "Remote Storage" (10 tiles at the beginning? - maybe extendable with an alternate tech)
- little popup to see which containers are linked in radius
- fill the container with a bunch of the needed materials
- --> build
this will give you the freedom to build in your surrounding.
maybe also for building at the crafting bench? .. but think, this is OP