I'm aware that the splitter is discussed and suggested in a lot of different suggestion already, but some people don't seem to know that there are two others Splitters in game and some made specific suggestions.
The thing people want from splitters are:
1) Split one input into 2 or more [Available]
2) A possibility to say which exit should filter which item [Available with Smart Splitter]
3) Combination of 1 and 2, Multiple Exists with same Filter [Not working]
4) Same as 3, but one of the exists should always be filled up first/prioritized thats the overflow scenario
EDIT: 5) A way of setting a ratio e.g. per minute, but thats a hole other topic which is not discussed here
As noted above. 1 and 2 works, but not 3. Setting multiple exits with the same filter only serves one of them. And 4 is no possible at all. It's even worse, the hole conveyor belt blocks, when the one filter exit is full.
1) In case multiple exits have the same filter the Smart Splitter should split the equally until one is blocked than all to the other exit or exits. This would solve requirement 3.
2a) Change the name of the current setting "Any" to "Other". Meaning all items, which are not filtered to other exists. Why? Because this is the current behaviour of it. This would make it clearer, that "Any" don't mean any it means all others.
This now opens up the real suggestion this post is about.
2b) After 2a, add a new setting called "Any" or if you prefer it more "All". Denoting that this really means all even the ones that are already filtered but only with secondary priority.
This would have the following effect:
If an exit have a filter and got full:
1) If the other exit is set to "Other" the hole belt would stuck like it currently does. This guarantees, that the filtered item is never sent to the exit with the "Other" label. An important scenario which is still needed and we don't want to loose it.
2) If the other exit is set to "Any" (the new "All") then even the filtered items would be sent to this exit but only if the dedicated exit is blocked/full. This way the main belt could be make sure to not block and continue. Allowing circling scenarios like in the Sushi-Bar Model. But it allows the highly sought after "Overflow" scenario as well. As the "Any"/"All" setting is 2nd in priority not 1st.
Pro / Cons
+ Mostly only programming changes necesarry.
+ No UI changes necesarry (one rename, one addition to the list, that is)
+ No new object splitter necesarry
+ Clearer representation what each selection is especiall the difference between "Other" and "Any"/"All".
+ Current behavour is still possible and would not change on game update if menu item is just relabeled